Bravely Forge Ahead Through Challenges and Difficulties To Make New Successes01 01, 2019
Time always steals away. We have worked hand in hand through 2018 and here we are, at a time to ring out the old year and ring in the new. On behalf of the CUC administration and Communist Party Committee, I am delighted to extend my sincere greetings and New Year wishes to all faculty members, students and retirees of our school, to superior leaders, alumni and people who have long been supportive of and concerned about the development of CUC.
The year 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of China's reform and opening up as well as the 15th birthday of CUC. In this year, CUC has made outstanding achievements in various fields with the guidance of Xi Jinping's Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era and the spirit of the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China and by active implementation of the spirits of National Education Conference and National Meeting of Undergraduate Education in the New Era; besides, CUC has seized every opportunity for development and cultivate talents with high moral standards, which is the fundamental mission of higher institutes.
By comprehensively strengthening party discipline, we have obtained progresses in ideological and political work. Armed with Xi Jinping's Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era as the guidance and driving force for practice and work, we have taken the political construction of CPC as priority of our work in 2018.
* We have successfully held a series of classes for party members aimed at "learning the spirit of the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China and becoming pioneers of the times", as well as training programs for CPC cadres to learn the "New Sprits".
* We have constructed an integrated ideological and political work mechanism in "Ten Perspectives" and adopted the first incentive measure for ideological and political workers among the higher institutes of Fujian Province.
* We have improved our publicity to build up a characteristic campus culture with effective cultural communication and public-opinion guiding capacities.
* A new CUC Party Committee has been elected.
* Five projects of ideological and political education have been awarded at provincial level.
Persisting in reform and innovation, we have enhanced the overall quality and competitiveness of CUC by strengthening the construction of disciplines, accelerating educational reform, promoting innovative scientific research and improving the quality of teachers.
* One newly offered specialty has been listed as one of the specialties that enjoy the priority support of the Education Department of Fujian Province.
* Two application-oriented discipline construction projects have been approved at provincial level.
* One application-oriented specialty group has been recognized as Model Specialty Group of Fujian Province.
* Five specialties have obtained excellent results in provincial assessments.
* CUC has secured stable source of high-quality students by recruiting senior-middle-school graduates in 16 provinces and municipalities.
* One Virtual Simulation Experimental Teaching Center and two Excellent Open On-line Courses have been approved at provincial level.
* Educational reform projects and talent supporting programs have won 42 awards at ministerial-, provincial- or lower levels.
* Two books written by CUC faculty members have been awarded as Outstanding Achievements in Social Sciences of Fujian Province.
* Two faculty members have been listed as leading talents at provincial level, apart from two teaching teams approved as Excellent Teaching Teams for Undergraduate Students in Fujian Province and several teachers awarded in teaching competitions at provincial level.
We have adhered to the principle of cultivating talents with high moral standards and achieved successes in student work, talent cultivation, innovation and entrepreneurship education, etc.
* We have established cooperation bases with some city governments and enterprises.
* We have cooperated with Jinkeng Village Shaowu City to build a "Red Culture Town" for targeted poverty alleviation and successfully hold Fujian College Student Red Culture Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition.
* We have actively carried out a series of visits to homes of poverty-stricken students as well as constructed a Student Financial Assistance Center that meets provincial standards.
* CUC Mass Innovation Base has passed the examination and evaluation of Fujian Municipal Government while CUC students have won more than 30 national prizes and 110 provincial prizes in innovation and entrepreneurship competitions of various kinds.
* CUC Student Volunteer Service Project has obtained national award.
* Employment rate of 2018 graduates has secured a stable and positive growth.
We have achieved breakthrough in opening up and cooperative operation by actively promoting CUC internationalization as well as integration and communication of traditional Chinese culture and world culture.
* We have established cooperative relationship and teacher/student exchanges with a series of universities such as California Baptist University, University of Central Lancashire (in UK), The University of Western Australia, BERJAYA University College of Hospitality, and Polesskiy State University (in Belarus).
* We have successfully received a human resources delegation from developing countries for visit and exchange.
* A workshop for higher institutes with SQA HND teaching centers has been smoothly held by CUC.
* A "Belt and Road" Chinese Culture Experience Class has been opened by CUC in collaboration with Polesskiy State University in Belarus.
In many other fields we have also advanced our work and gotten remarkable fruits.
All these progresses are attributive to the combined wisdom and efforts of faculty members, the deep concern from dear alumni and support from various sectors of society. Hereby, I would like to send my sincere gratitude and respect for all the parties.
In the coming year, we will bravely forge ahead through challenges and difficulties to make new successes. The Year 2019 is the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China and also a critical year for deeper and comprehensive educational reform in CUC.
* We will continue to implement the important statements on education proposed by President Xi Jinping and the spirits of National Education Conference with the guidance of Xi Jinping's Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era
*We will work hard to build a high-level and distinctive independent college that is first-rate in Fujian and famous around the nation.
* We are fully confident and determined to renew the spirit of reform and opening-up so that we could cultivate more high-quality talents for the construction of Socialism with Chinese Characteristics as well as contribute to the modernization of higher education in China and the building of a New Fujian.
It is the best of times; the new year is to come with blossoms and fruits. We the CUC people should try our best for the great cause and compete for advancement.
In the Year 2019 we will continue to join our hands and work together for a better life!
Last but not least, I sincere wish that all the teachers, students, alumni and friends will make progresses and lead a happy life in 2019.
President Zhang Huarong
Concord University College Fujian Normal University
31st December, 2018